Friday, October 26, 2007

Half Life Answers

I am so grateful to you for all of the response to Episode 2. I really enjoyed the work, so it's nice to hear it so appreciated. In the midst of it all, I have recieved hundreds of questions. Here is my attempt to answer. In the future, you might get better and faster answers by posting to the forum Rachel has so graciously created. Also, the web designer is looking at adding a guestbook for you to leave your comments. The e-mails are just becoming overwhelming. So, please help a little girl out. Also, you can look out for some updates and new clips on the Half life section fo the website as Chris continues to perfect the site as a whole. Let's see...

Have I played Half Life yet? No. I've tried. BELIEVE me, I've tried. It is just not my gift. Half Life 2 was just too overwhelming, so I thought I'd give Episode 1 a try. There's less play and a lot more Alyx, so I figured I'd catch some of it. No. Didn't happen. I catch some of the play I see on you tube, but that's about it. I did have the amazing opportunity to see snippets when it was played for me at Valve Headquarters in Seattle. That was truly wonderful. However, I just don't have the gaming skill! How's that for irony?
Is the work time consuming? Not really. Everyone has a very clear idea of what our goals are when we go into the studio. We move quickly and very efficiently. I don't have a lot of time to overthink anything. So, you usually get my first instinct. Though I give many options for them to pick from. A few 4 hr sessions usually get it done.
How was the process of finding this character different? Well, I didn't have to work too hard. The Valve Team had already done most of the work. It was lucky that Alyx fit on me so well. I really just brought instinct to it. I wasn't confined by physicality, so that made it fun. I could be and do anything. I could go anywhere. A creative wonderland!
I hope that's a satisfying start. Again, thank you for being so responsive. It means more than I can say.

Love,

Merle

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post, it gives us some inkling of what it's like to do your job. I made a post on my myspace blog, but I thought I might provide a little snippet here: all the fancy artwork and animation in the world can't sell players a believable character. It's the voice acting that really brings the players to life for us, and after playing through and seeing the ending of episode 2 3 or 4 times I'd have to say delivered on that idea in spades. I look forward to your next bit of work.

Anonymous said...

The voice acting can make or break the immersion in a game. The Half-Life series has benefited from the beginning from top-notch voice acting.

One question: Do you get to interact much with the other voice actors? It tends to be solitary work, but I wold hope you got to at least visit with Robert Culp, etc.

Anonymous said...

Just in case anyone wants to visit the forum, it's here.

Merle said...

To answer "Anonymous #1's" question, no, I have never worked with the other voice actors. Once in awhile, depending on the chronology of how things are recorded, I might get someone else's playback to work off of. But I never depend on that. The story telling is so clearly mapped that I find it easy to get to places I need to emotionally or otherwise.

Unknown said...

Merle, your voice work at the end of Half Life 2 Ep 2 was stunning. I've replayed the end several times to try to figure out WHY it is so emotional. MANY people who have played this game have said this is the first time a video game ever made them weep. Myself included! I have to say, when the screen fades away on Alyx holding Eli's broken body, I feel shock. But it's YOUR voice and YOUR talent that brings the tears! When Alyx weeps "Oh my God" and then whispers "don't leave me..." WOW. As tragic as Eli's death is, he's a cartoon character...it's Robert's voice that gave him life and your voice that helps us to feel that loss. Bravo! You've gone where no voice talent has gone...and you've taken us along for the ride. THANK YOU!!!

Unknown said...

Merle, your voice work at the end of Half Life 2 Ep 2 was stunning. I've replayed the end several times to try to figure out WHY it is so emotional. MANY people who have played this game have said this is the first time a video game ever made them weep. Myself included! I have to say, when the screen fades away on Alyx holding Eli's broken body, I feel shock. But it's YOUR voice and YOUR talent that brings the tears! When Alyx weeps "Oh my God" and then whispers "don't leave me..." WOW. As tragic as Eli's death is, he's a cartoon character...it's Robert's voice that gave him life and your voice that helps us to feel his loss. Bravo! You've gone where no voice talent has gone...and you've taken us along for the ride. THANK YOU!!!

Rodolfo (EBDR.com.ar) said...

Well, I've just finished Ep2, and I have to say, that it was great. I read an article in Wikipedia, and I knew you. So, I wanna say that you did (and hope, will do) an excelent work, and you have a really nice expression (last weeps were... were... real?)

See ya!

Anonymous said...

Hey! I dunno if you had the chance (seeing that you said playing Half Life 2 was a bit of a challenge), but I played through each game with the Commentary feature activated (the one that has the bubbles that allow people who created the game to comment on specific scenes and stuff). I have to say, your commentaries were my favorites. It showed me the passion and love you had when creating and acting for character of Alyx. Specificly the end of Episode 2. It was so powerfull. The team at Valve, including your amazing voice acting, created a beautiful, tragic scene that was so emotional. (Yes, I got a bit emotional. Who hasen't?) I thank you for a fantastic job. Can't wait for the next instalment.

Dylan said...

Merle, your job at voice acting has made Half-Life 2 what it now is. You have done a fantastic job voicing Alyx, and it has made the game very enjoyable for me and everyone else who has played it. I look forward to seeing what you'll be doing in the Future.

Love,

Dylan

gordon said...

question: have u already done some acting for ep3? If u are not allowed to say i understand.

gordon said...

Have u already done some recording for ep3? If you are not allowed to say that is fine.

Anonymous said...

Thank You thank you and THANK YOU!

Your talent voicing Alyx Vance in Half-Life (especially HL2 EP2 the ending scene commentary) has got to be the best piece of work I've ever scene. You and the entire team at Valve are the best in the world. No matter how many new cool games come out, or how good the graphics and game play are, there will never be another game as moving, real and bring so much life to the charactors as you did with Alyx! I still to this day re-play that ending scene in hl2 ep2 and it grabs my heart every time I listen to you last commentary.

Thank you soooo very much again for putting all your heart and soul into voicing Alyx in Half-Life! The game would have never been the same without your wonderful talent.
You made Alyx become more then just a game rag doll, you brought her to to life as if she and her dad were real life people.

Dj_Shawn :)

Anonymous said...

Thank You thank you and THANK YOU!

Your talent voicing Alyx Vance in Half-Life (especially HL2 EP2 the ending scene commentary) has got to be the best piece of work I've ever scene. You and the entire team at Valve are the best in the world. No matter how many new cool games come out, or how good the graphics and game play are, there will never be another game as moving, real and bring so much life to the charactors as you did with Alyx! I still to this day re-play that ending scene in hl2 ep2 and it grabs my heart every time I listen to you last commentary.

Thank you soooo very much again for putting all your heart and soul into voicing Alyx in Half-Life! The game would have never been the same without your wonderful talent.
You made Alyx become more then just a game rag doll, you brought her to to life as if she and her dad were real life people.

Dj_Shawn :)